Frans

Virtual Worlds

Chatlog of Q&A with Erica Linden at Oxbridge

by on Jun.08, 2010, under Virtual Worlds

Erica Linden is a User Experience lead at Linden Lab and this talk was
about Viewer 2.0.

[19:00] Vanessa
Hamer
: Hi Everybody, we’re going to get started now. Please welcome
Linden Research Software Developer Erica Linden to Oxbridge. She may
be using voice, she’ll instruct you accordingly

[19:00] Martini Discovolante: hello Red.
[19:00]
Erica Linden: Hi gang!
[19:00]
Erica Linden: Just waitinf for my
face to rez

[19:00] Frans
Charming
: Looking at your title, are you Dutch?

[19:00] Vanessa Hamer: HI Erica!
[19:00]
Red Quixote: ㋡
[19:00] Red Quixote: hello Martini
[19:00]
LillieJay Mills: Hello Erica
[19:01]
Erica Linden: Does one typically
talk in text or voice here?

[19:01] LillieJay Mills: text
[19:01] Jayleden Miles: Text probably would be
better for the hearing impaired that might be among us.

[19:01]
Eila Eiren: Text please
[19:01]
Vanessa Hamer: oh sorry, there’s a
step on the other side, but you can just click the podium

[19:01]
Erica Linden: Sounds good
[19:01]
Red Quixote: Hello Auto
[19:02]
Erica Linden: `oh my what a great
space

[19:02] Erica Linden:
I typically have meetings in someone’s 2005 era office

[19:03]
Erica Linden: So to start, I’ll
introduce myself, I’m Erica Linden and I’m one of two User Experience
leads at Linden Lagb

[19:03] Erica
Linden
: new keybord sorry for any typeos

[19:03] Kerhop Seattle: an appropriate typo :)
[19:03]
LillieJay Mills chuckles at “Lag”b
[19:04]
Anna Darwinian: Hey LillieJay :-)
[19:04]
Erica Linden: wocka wocka
[19:04]
Erica Linden: heh
[19:04] LillieJay Mills: Hi there Anna :)
[19:04]
Erica Linden: so one of the fun
things about having a Linden last name is that it’s impossible to step
inworld w/out IMs from random strangers asking for advice

[19:04]
Anna Darwinian: Queen Frog?
[19:04]
Pacoima Core: ribbet
[19:04]
Erica Linden: this just happened. ;)
[19:05] Erica Linden:
Some Dutch residents called me that one day, and i was honored

[19:05]
Frans Charming: :)
[19:05] Erica Linden: we’ve had a variety of Frog
lindens

[19:05] Erica Linden:
I guess we’re sort of affiliated with Furries.

[19:05] Erica Linden: The Slimys perhaps?
[19:06]
Erica Linden: Right! So, I work
primarily on the SL viewer

[19:06] Pacoima Core: it is becoming :)
[19:06] Kerhop Seattle: (there goes the bears)
[19:06]
Erica Linden: and in the last year
and a half I’ve worked (along with about 20 of my closest friends) on
*dramatic chord* Viewer 2.0

[19:07] Erica Linden: So, all of the things you like in viewer 2
were my idea. And all the things you don’t like were the other guy. ;)

[19:07]
Erica Linden ducks
[19:07]
Tao Mistwalker: :)
[19:07]
Frans Charming: lol
[19:07]
Kellan McKenna: :D
[19:07]
76 Rain: lol
[19:07]
Red Quixote: ^^
[19:07] Savannah Blindside: :)
[19:07]
Anna Darwinian: I wondered about
that :-)

[19:07] Erica Linden:
I have a background in Human compute4r interaction

[19:08] Erica Linden: a masters from the
university of michigan, and a VERY useful undergrad degree in English
an dLinguistics

[19:08] Frans
Charming
: haha.

[19:09] Frans
Charming
: It helps with the typos? :P

[19:09] Anna Darwinian: I bet it helps with reading
other people’s typos

[19:09] Erica
Linden
: My daily life consists of trying to juggle the needs of
extremely smart and advanced residents, with folks who are new to SL
and have computers made of wood.

[19:09] Erica Linden: All within the constraints of a 6 year old
codebase

[19:09] Kerhop Seattle:
Abacus?

[19:10] ABBI
Hunniton
: ha

[19:10] Roberto Viking: maybe there should simply be two viewers
[19:10]
Roberto Viking: a
technical one and a simple one

[19:10] Savannah Blindside passes Miss Linden some of
the good chocolate and a bottle of asprin

[19:10] Erica Linden: to display content that I
can barely begin to imagine

[19:10] Erica Linden: the wonderful thing about SL is that it is
entirely user generated

[19:11] Erica
Linden
: but as a designer that means i have no idea how long the
names of things will be, how many million items folks will have in their
inventory, what level of complexity an object will have, etc

[19:12]
Erica Linden: so it’s sometimes a
challenge to get it right the first time

[19:12] Erica Linden: we’re about to release our
early 2.1 beta version

[19:12] LillieJay
Mills cheers

[19:12] Quinn
Skyther
: I guess ‘checkspell’ is too cutting edge to make its way
into a legacy viewer

[19:12] Kerhop
Seattle
: thank heaven for decimal versions

[19:13] Frans Charming: Great!
[19:13] Kellan McKenna: yay :)
[19:13]
Erica Linden: which will address a
bunch of the things folks have been totally annoyed by

[19:13]
Erica Linden: believe it or not, we
live and die by the popular pjira issues

[19:13] Vanessa Hamer: that’s SO refreshing to
hear

[19:14] Erica Linden:
even though it is absolutely TERRIFIYING to go in there and comment. ;)

[19:14]
Kerhop Seattle: do they affect your
performance reviews?

[19:14] Erica
Linden
: and unfortunatly, many of the things folks want are pretty
darn difficult to wrangle

[19:14] Erica
Linden
: our performance reviews are quarterly and are affected by a
bunch of things including the quality of work we have produced and the
reviews of our coworkers

[19:15] Anna
Darwinian
: Hovertext penetrating opaque walls is difficult to
wrangle?

[19:15] Erica Linden:
the jira’s we’ve worked on are a big part of it, yes

[19:15]
Erica Linden: heh
[19:15] Erica Linden: maybe a bit
[19:15]
Kerhop Seattle: ok :)
[19:15]
Be Ewing: Erica — it
seems to me that we live and experience daily … why are your reviews
only quarterly?

[19:16] Erica
Linden
: and there’s lots of fun stuff that’s just getting quietly
worked on in the background that we can’t announce because it takes
like a full quarter to qa some of it (cough cough mesh)

[19:16]
Frans Charming smiles
[19:16]
Anna Darwinian: :-)
[19:16]
Be Ewing: Erica – but
that’s just it

[19:16] Erica
Linden
: i’m hoping these small things that you mention Victorian
will be given more attention in the coming months

[19:16] Be Ewing: we experience 2nd
Life without time dimensions

[19:17] Antique School Desks: Unable to find specified agent to
request permissions.

[19:17] Be Ewing: and expect things to be delivered
instantaneously

[19:17] Asimov
Starsmith
: hehe

[19:17] Erica
Linden
: I’m very proud of our viewer team for doing two things in
this latest build – 1) focusing on the top pjira and bugs from the
betatesters (stuff like the sidetray covering the world vs moving it
over)

[19:18] Frans Charming
nods

[19:19] Erica Linden:
and 2) changing our scope quickly based on data and going from some
feature-add stuff to focusing entirely and obsessively on CRASHES AND
FRAMERATE

[19:19] Erica Linden:
It has been really cool to watch.

[19:19] Erica Linden: and by focus, i mean
Everybody.

[19:19] meghan
Flinders
: do you have residents test this before release………as
things like not being able to see chat easily and screen being covered
would be picked up much quicker by …..us

[19:19] Erica Linden: meghen – indeed we do
[19:19]
meghan Flinders: and
they didnt notice?

[19:20] Erica
Linden
: there were 500 NDA’d testers on viewer 2

[19:20]
Erica Linden: several of which
worked in our internal jira and filed bugs

[19:20] Kerhop Seattle: Speaking of framerates, any
chance we could get an updated version of
http://s3.amazonaws.com/secondlifegrid.net/frameratesbygpu.png ?

[19:21]
Erica Linden: and yep, they
noticed. and we thought “ah, it’ll be ok” and “not really a big deal”
and other such inaccuate things. And got swept up in the 45,000 other
things that needed fixing.

[19:21] Erica
Linden
: so, yeah. my bad, and it’s now an option in preferences.
it’s really a personal preference, and i’m glad we let folks choose
now.

[19:22] Frans Charming:
Thank you for admitting that. :)

[19:22] Erica Linden: Frans – I wish I made great decisions all
of the time.

[19:22] Erica
Linden
: sigh.

[19:23] Erica
Linden
: but so, it’s pretty easy to get thinking the
DIFFICULTproblems are the ones to focus on

[19:23] Frans Charming: That’s ok. It is refreshing
to hear someone say they made a mistake sometimes. :)

[19:23]
Erica Linden: and ignore the tiny
easy to change things

[19:24] Trance Mistwallow: erica. do you think in future that
SL resources will be more evenly distributed between new AND old
residents. i.e. When you are a new account crossing sim borders and
teleports etc are instantaneous whereas once your inventory hits about
10,000 and u wear a few attachments these things take much much longer,
not to mention the tp probs, it seems to me that although front end
customer service and experiance is prioritised that i am always hearing
from older residents that the second life experiance suffers greatly
the more you accumulate over time, will this always be a problem with
SL do you think? or will perhaps a new system be developed maybe a
multiple-object-thread loading system for people with larger inventories
but who are not unfairly overusing sim resources?…

[19:24]
Erica Linden: it’s kind of silly
how many giant mountains we’ve been climbing to clean up stuff in the
background (I personally touched and cleaned up every single panel and
floater in the viewer to make sure there was consistancy and clean
layout) and just kind of write off little things

[19:25] Erica Linden: hmm Trance – that’s several
questions – let me try and pull it apart

[19:25] Erica Linden: so first, yes resources
should be pretty evenly distributed

[19:26] Trance Mistwallow: ok
[19:27]
Erica Linden: and believe it or
not, they were with viewer 2, but the line “new users” kept getting
used as a substitute for “lord there’s no way we have time to do that
too” and considering the desparate need to clean up 1.23 in the
background /code level, it ended up being more of a cleanup than a ZOMG
new features build.

[19:27] Trance Mistwallow: i guess all i am trying to ask in a
nutshell is that will similar resources be expended in keeping the SL
experiance a fluid one with older residents as well as the newcomers?

[19:27]
Trance Mistwallow:
][_ (( )) ][_

[19:27] Trance
Mistwallow
: i see

[19:28] Erica
Linden
: happily, because of the 2.0 cleanup work (killing embedded
text strings, widgetizing ui stuff, etc etc) it’s way faster now to
iterate UI and fix stuff

[19:28] Trance Mistwallow: 2.0 plus is faster. :)
[19:29]
Be Ewing: Erica — I do
have one question here

[19:29] Erica
Linden
: so – re: lots of inventory = lag i’m not the best person
to address that, but i do know that there are some things that are
purely related to the speed and power of yr graphics card (another thing
that varies person to person)

[19:29] Be Ewing: I come to 2nd Life just to enjoy
the experience and meet/learn from others

[19:29] Vanessa Hamer: Be? Please let Erica get to
Victorian’s Q first, so she’s not overwhelmed

[19:30] Be Ewing: I still have older
viewer …. but newer one too

[19:30] Trance Mistwallow: sure i understand that, i
am merely reffering to the universal problems that all residents have
over a cetain age, but i can save these questions for another
occasion…

[19:30] Trance
Mistwallow
: also 10,000 is actually a small amount of inventory for
someone a year or 2 old, mines is 30,000

[19:30] Be Ewing: Don’t you think it
would be good to switch back to older policy where at a certain point
everyone switches to same viewer though others exist elsewhere?

[19:31]
Erica Linden: Re: Disneyland ™ -
I think our old new user experience was really good for folks who like
to figure it out themselves, explore, and twiddle various controls.
However, there’s also a bunch of folks who are potentially awesome
residents and creators who jsut hit our new user experience and
EXPLODE.

[19:32] Trance
Mistwallow
: ][_ (( )) ][_

[19:32] Erica Linden: one of the things i did early in my time
at linden is run a ton of inperson user observations

[19:32] Erica Linden: we brought in random folks
from different demographics who had never used secondlife and
essentially watched them fail

[19:32] Patti Larimore: Are new residents going to
be asked to fill out questionaire..on their interests..and then be
placed in gateways to accomadate…do you know? Or are they already

[19:33]
Erica Linden: and as someone who’s
job it is to make things easier, it was really hard to watch

[19:33]
Trance Mistwallow: i
hear in the future there may be a questionare at account creation so
when they are lopgged on for first time they are placed in best location
for their interests and with relevent info, as everyone has slightly
diff resons to be here, is this true?

[19:33] meghan Flinders:
tbh…….almost everyone starts as free account and to not be able to
ask support questionsfor problems is a turnoff….

[19:33] Erica Linden: so, as in education,
different people learn in different ways

[19:34] Erica Linden: and it’s important to
provide different avenues

[19:34] Quinn Skyther: Optimizing for shopping KA/KT makes SL
look like a bloated 3D Google appliance

[19:34] Erica Linden: many people I watched
learned by communicating with others – asking questions and pestering
folks. ;) Many others read every word in front of them and loved
notecards and tutorials

[19:35] Erica
Linden
: and others would rather eat glass than take a tutorial.

[19:35]
Trance Mistwallow: so
true erica

[19:35] Erica Linden:
and our job really, is to provide access to information that is
palatable to all these learning types

[19:35] Erica Linden: and really try to
communicate WHY SL is so compelling.

[19:36] Erica Linden: and honestly (for me) that
was hard to do in 1.23

[19:36] Tao Mistwalker: Oddly, I never had to take a class on the
old viewer, tho. I feel completely lost in the new one.

[19:36]
Erica Linden: because before we
could even get to the “zomg look castles!” part of SL, folks were
bailing because they couldnt figure out how to walk

[19:37] Erica Linden: and um we looked like
shareware

[19:37] Trance
Mistwallow
: thats because u are so used to the old viewer, even
though i find it hard too, fact is 2.0 plus IS more consistent with
other web software

[19:37] Frans
Charming
: Tao, I have given RL classes with the 1.23 viewer.
People are generaly lost quickly.

[19:37] Erica Linden: so the good news is SL tests way better
with new users under viewer 2

[19:37] Antique School Desks: Unable to find specified agent to
request permissions.

[19:37] Erica
Linden
: since it’s more consistant, and there are a few more
familiar UI metaphors

[19:38] Erica
Linden
: but that in no way solves the problem

[19:38] Trance Mistwallow:
understandable

[19:38] Patti
Larimore
: Perhaps…but 1/2 this room is using 3rd party viewer,
one that seems more user friendly.

[19:38] Erica Linden: and the next step is to
figure out how to hook people up quickly with stuff that is intersting
to them

[19:38] Erica Linden:
patti – re; 3rd party viewers – well i certainly hope folks are using
the viewer that works best for them!

[19:39] Erica Linden: that’s why we are open
source

[19:39] Ni
Rumble
: And has jiggly boob physics! :p

[19:39] Kellan McKenna giggles
[19:39]
Erica Linden: also important!
[19:39]
Frans Charming: stand still Erica,
else Ni gets distracted.

[19:39] Patti Larimore: lol
[19:39] Trance Mistwallow: ][_ (( ))
][_

[19:39] Kerhop Seattle:
Has LL collected any gpu statistics for viewer 2 in order to update
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Typical_Frame_Rate_Performance_by_Graphics_Card/GPU

[19:39]
Erica Linden: The great thing about
being a frog is you don’t ever have to worry about your hair or makeup

[19:39]
Marion Questi: Good to
hear the 2.0 tests well with new users. Is it helping with retetion and
Premium conversion?

[19:39] Erica
Linden
: Kerhop – oh heck yes

[19:40] Vanessa Hamer: Great gown though!
[19:40] Savannah Blindside: I was
about to say; a very well dressed frog!

[19:40] Erica Linden: as a matter of fact, since
we’ve upgraded some our stat collection software, we’ve gotten a much
better idea of the type of processing power new users have

[19:41]
Erica Linden: and literally,
priorities changed overnight

[19:41] Trance Mistwallow: ][_ (( )) ][_
[19:41]
Trance Mistwallow: i
can only speak for myself vis a vis emerald vs 2.0plus, emerald has
comprehensive radar, useful for quickly spotting new residents who might
be a little lost, and of course theres phantom lock, would be lost
without that

[19:41] Kerhop
Seattle
: I’ll be shopping for a new gpu later this year and it’d be
nice to know which ones perform better similar to the chart on that
web page

[19:41] Patti
Larimore
: How does the stat collection software
work?…surveys…? or

[19:41] Erica
Linden
: sadly, most people coming into welcome island are using
balsa wood and chewing gum computers

[19:41] Be Ewing: All — I definitely am
in the minority … but don’t you think most people just want to sign
on and communicate and use 2nd Life and be transparent to all of these
developer questions?

[19:42] Erica
Linden
: patti – again i’m a bit vague on the statistics but it’s
something serverside that figures out aggrigate % of different graphics
cards and ram

[19:42] clank
trader shouts: Ouch!!

[19:42] Erica Linden: as a result our QA folks started collecting
really old computers

[19:42] Erica
Linden
: we shipped a bunch to offices all over the country

[19:42]
Erica Linden: and everything is
getting retested for average framerate

[19:42] Kerhop Seattle: no netbooks or iPhones?
[19:43]
Erica Linden: Kerhop – I wish
[19:43]
Kerhop Seattle: :)
[19:43] Frans Charming: That is good to hear.
[19:43]
Kerhop Seattle: cool
[19:43]
Erica Linden: right – so where was
I?

[19:43] Erica Linden: I
know i missed some questions

[19:43] Erica Linden: !!
[19:43] Erica Linden: heh
[19:44] Patti Larimore: Was curious about the entry
survey…..

[19:44] Erica
Linden
: I don’t think that is a problem

[19:44] Erica Linden: oh the viewer 2 survey?
[19:44]
Trance Mistwallow: yes
[19:44]
Patti Larimore: if
there was going to be one. I am education manager for GOHA and ….was
told

[19:44] Patti
Larimore
: new residents would be filling out survey

[19:44]
Erica Linden: i wasn’t involved in
making that but it was intended as a way to get info from people in a
friendlier way that pjira

[19:44] Patti Larimore: if they are interested in winter
sports for ex. they go to that gateway

[19:45] Quinn Skyther: Survey’s don’t work
well when users don’t know what they don’t know

[19:45] Erica Linden: a couple of the release
managers and qa have been squishing the feedback into actionable jira
for us

[19:45] Erica Linden:
(actionable and drama-free)

[19:45] Erica Linden: Quinn – SO true
[19:45] Patti Larimore: Excellent
point Quinn..so the gateway will be manned

[19:45] Patti Larimore: volunteers
[19:45]
Patti Larimore:
hopefull:))

[19:46] Erica
Linden
: imho, the best way to tell how someone works with software
is to observe them using it

[19:46] Erica Linden: and the best way to get folks to cool
content is to provide a bunch of browsable options

[19:47] Patti Larimore: lol
[19:47]
Be Ewing: so net net
bottomline … I am a straight user … giving you most direct feedback
… and you seem to be totally oblivious to the value of this feedback
interactively given

[19:47] Quinn Skyther: I was surprised to see a lack of 3GL-like
look and feel skins

[19:47] Ni Rumble: Touching on Trance’s question concerning
massive inventory accumulation…will SL ever allow the back up of
inventory to hard drive? Or would that just make it too easy for people
to pirate content?

[19:47] Be Ewing: wouldn’t best way to get feedback to have 2nd life
interactive sessions here rather than pjira/jira etc?

[19:48]
Erica Linden: I rather hate those
websites, like my insurance company, that ask you “are you a customer
or an employee” and you don’t know which to pick because you are an
employee SOMEWHERE and your COMPANY is a customer and you don’t want to
miss any good options so you end up picking both. ;)

[19:48] Erica Linden: or university sites tend to
do this

[19:48] Erica Linden:
Students | Faculty | Researchers

[19:48] Erica Linden: people are often all three!
[19:48]
Erica Linden: it’s pretty difficult
to define yourself in that way

[19:49] Erica Linden: Ni – lord i have no idea
[19:49]
Be Ewing: Erica — I will
try one mor time

[19:49] Kerhop
Seattle
: even “male or female?” is tough for some people ;)

[19:49]
Be Ewing: I am an
individual user of your product

[19:49] Erica Linden: pirating is definitely something we all
want to prevent

[19:49] Be
Ewing
: I am not affiliated with any organization

[19:50] Jayleden Miles: Be please be patient and
let Erica have a chance at answering everyones questions and concerns.

[19:50]
Vanessa Hamer: ty Professor Miles
[19:50]
Erica Linden: Be – i’m try9ing to
read scrollback – your question is pretty spread out

[19:50] Kellan McKenna nods
[19:51]
Erica Linden: are you asking if i
think there should be One Viewer to Rule them All?

[19:51] Tao Mistwalker: lol
[19:51]
Erica Linden: or are you suggesting
inworld sessions such as this for gathering feedback?

[19:52]
Savannah Blindside: I
think there was also a suggestion about an alternative to jira – more
live help

[19:52] Vanessa Hamer:
Miss Erica, it appears Be has left

[19:52] Erica Linden: ah ok
[19:52] LillieJay Mills thinks Be meant the latter
but doesn’t see her anymore

[19:52] Erica Linden: oh
[19:52] Kerhop Seattle votes for the latter
[19:52] Erica Linden: well i will try to answer
anyway

[19:52] Trance
Mistwallow
: i think most ppl who use 3rd party viewers would say
there are prob one or 2 features that are the reason they use that
viewer, is good to havethe choice i think

[19:53] Erica Linden: re: jira vs live help – live
help is pretty hard to scale over 10,000 users a day or whatever the
numbers are lately

[19:53] Erica
Linden
: it is very costly

[19:53] Erica Linden: and we are a free service for the majority
of residents

[19:53] Marion
Questi
: Have you been able to measure the impact of V2 on new user
retention and Premium account conversions?

[19:54] Erica Linden: jira serves a different
purpose – it’s a way to catch the comments and patches from open source
contributors and residents patient and passionate enough to deal with
jira

[19:54] Professor
Viper
: you had a lot of volunteer help, the Mentors, and you shut
them down

[19:55] Patti
Larimore
: Erica..Trance and I …and maybe others in the room..are
members or sl Mentoring programs…part of RHN…..does LL have any
way..or any reason to keep track of how many residents provide
assistance to new residents

[19:55] Trance Mistwallow: the new RHN system sems
to be working better than the old one group system

[19:55] Patti Larimore: LL supports
RHN and many Lindens are members I understand

[19:55] Trance Mistwallow: i have seen
a great surge in enthusiams on the front line at welcome areas since
its introduction

[19:55] Erica
Linden
: Professor Viper and Patti – I’m not very up to date on the
Mentor vs RHN issues unfortunately

[19:56] Trance Mistwallow: ][_ (( ))
][_

[19:56] Trance
Mistwallow
: … maybe we’re going off topic

[19:56] Kerhop Seattle: hmm, it seems if
mentors/rhn volunteers are hanging out at welcome areas to new
residents of V2 that they should be involved with V2 stuff. given a
heads up, common questions about V2,e tc….

[19:57] Patti Larimore:
Kerhop..true..most are

[19:57] Trance Mistwallow: yes i agree to an extent
[19:57]
Patti Larimore: I use
both viewers….

[19:57] Trance Mistwallow: i am hoping we can repeat this meeting
with the RHN groups at next convenience

[19:57] Erica Linden: Kerhop – that’s why we try so
hard to announce and release beta versions (which often are buggy!)
despite their not-readyness

[19:57] Patti Larimore: But LL has done an excellent
job of providing tutorials in help areas

[19:58] Kerhop Seattle: ’tis true
[19:58] Erica Linden: it’s a way to get feedback,
iterate, and most of all give folks a headsup on what is coming

[19:58]
Trance Mistwallow:
there are too few of these sessions

[19:58] Erica Linden: similarly, the tech blogs
have been really active in posting mockups, proposed features, etc

[19:58]
Vanessa Hamer: Hey guys, one more
question, I don’t want to keep Erica too long.

[19:58] Professor Viper: I would use V2
more often, but every time I switch, eiter way, it resets all of my
preferences

[19:59] Patti
Larimore
: Would be excellent if Lindens could on occasion ..meet
with mentor groups ….

[19:59] Patti Larimore: At least heads of groups
[19:59]
meghan Flinders:
Erica..what are the changes we will see with viewer 2.1

[19:59]
Savannah Blindside:
I’ve had that happend and I *hadn’t* switched viewers

[19:59] Kerhop Seattle: I like PViper’s question
[19:59]
Erica Linden: it’s the fist time
i’ve worked like that and I really like it. I was converted. it was
pretty scary at first to post my proposed design document to the blog –
flaming is pretty depressing, but Nyx and I got amazing feedback and I
think we made better decisions because of it

[19:59] Erica Linden: reading up…
[20:00]
meghan Flinders: there
are many mentor groups..possbbly leave meetings open to all

[20:00]
Trance Mistwallow: i
have asked erica in IM if she is willing to repeat this meeting, i have
offered to gather all RHN groups at one venue so all who want can be
there

[20:00] Patti
Larimore
: Any connection..information sharing…I agree

[20:01]
Erica Linden: ah – preferences
resetting – yeah. switching back and forth has it’s charms.

[20:01]
Erica Linden: personally, I save a
copy of my settings file and replace it when i upgrade (if i’m not
testing new user experience)

[20:01] Quinn Skyther: Hard to focus features of on a
“generic experience” engine. What is the LL prototypical user
experience reference? Gamer? Shopper? Business Collaborator?

[20:01]
Professor Viper: how do
you do that

[20:02] Professor
Viper
: file name?

[20:02] Erica
Linden
: it depends partly on whether the version you are going to
has teh same app name – so if you install a new version of SL Beta 2.1
over an old version Zap go your settings

[20:02] Trance Mistwallow: i would
say, chat room user, networking etc

[20:02] Pacoima Core: I have a simple question?
[20:02]
Erica Linden: Viper – in mac they
are in library > aplication settings > sl

[20:02] Vanessa Hamer: That’ll be it after
Pacoima’s, OK?

[20:03] Professor
Viper
: how about PC

[20:03] Trance Mistwallow: before you log off erica could
you quickly respond to the IM i sent? and.. thanks so much for your
patience

[20:03] Pacoima Core:
is it worth my $10 /month to use tech support?

[20:03] Erica Linden: Trance – i’d be happy to –
re: viewer 2.1 features – there is going to be a blog post really soon
and i don’t wanna steal their thunder

[20:03] Trance Mistwallow: perhaps
after the blog release?

[20:03] Pacoima
Core
: in lieu of attending clases in worlk?

[20:03] meghan Flinders: where will
that be?

[20:04] Vanessa Hamer:
I think Pacoima’s “Premium Membership” question is a great one to
close on.

[20:04] Erica Linden:
Pacoima – I’m not sure I can answer that – are you asking about the
value propasition?

[20:04] Erica
Linden
: ah

[20:04] Erica
Linden
: ok

[20:04] Pacoima
Core
: i guess so

[20:05] Erica
Linden
: again, that’s a personal decision. our support folks have
gotten great reviews, and Linden homes is pretty cool.

[20:05]
Patti Larimore: Thank
you very Much Erica..for this. Interesting.

[20:05] Erica Linden: Yo I just make software
though.

[20:05] Erica Linden:
;)

[20:05] Erica Linden:
You do what you’ve gotta do.

[20:05] Vanessa Hamer: Erica, thanks SO much!
[20:05] Tao Mistwalker: Yes, thank you
for your time, Erica… :)

[20:05] Frans
Charming
: Thank you Erica.

[20:05] Kellan McKenna: Thank you Erica! :)
[20:06]
Erica Linden: Thank you – I’m really
glad to hear your questions.

[20:06] Trance Mistwallow: thankyou so much
[20:06]
Pacoima Core: ♫♪♪♫ APPLAUSE!!!
♫♪♪♫

[20:06] Savannah
Blindside applaudes

[20:06] Q-Translator
v0.21 – English: Too many HTTP requests too fast.

[20:06]
Frans Charming applauds
[20:06]
Erica Linden: Dinner awaits!
[20:06]
Ariell Enoch: thank
you

[20:06] Erica Linden: :)
[20:06] Jilich Lavendel: great
presentation

[20:06] Carl
Metropolitan
: Thank you for coming.

[20:06] Vanessa Hamer: Thanks to all who attended
as well

[20:06] Quinn
Skyther
: Thanks for the information.

[20:06] Pacoima Core: for she’s a jolly good
fella…..

[20:06] Erica Linden:
hee

[20:06] Erica Linden:
ribbit

Leave a Comment :, more...

Most Excellent Machinima Music Video – Potlatch – “Plant Her”

by on May.07, 2010, under Virtual Worlds

This is one of the most impressive Music Videos made in Second Life that I have seen. I think what makes this video work so well for me, is in the editing. Which is a art in it self.

This does not mean it is perfect, but it brings us right to the edge of what works well in doing SL machinima. Make sure to watch it in full screen.

Potlatch – “Plant Her” (Music video) from Arbit Delacroix on Vimeo.

Official music video for “Plant Her” by Potlatch from the album “Ravenshadow” on Louipimps Records.Music written and produced by PotlatchSecond Life machinima filmed at Butterdish, China, Pixel Mode and Cloudcroft.

The singing by the avatar is done well, I don’t think the lipsync tech in SL is good enough yet to do this properly. But this is a great effort with a great result.

Two of the scenes that I found particularly interesting, was the camera scene in the white room and the man that drowned the old school newbie. At least that is what I imagine he did, maybe it is a metaphor to getting rid of our inner noob.

Leave a Comment :, , more...

Second Life Beach Bonanza Contest

by on Aug.03, 2009, under Virtual Worlds

Today is the Last day of the Second Life Beach Bonanza Contest, that Linden Lab has been running on Facebook for a week. The winner is determined by the most ‘like’s on your picture, which I noticed, can be confusing for non native English speakers. Not realising when I ask them to ‘like’ my picture that they have to click on ‘like’.

I entered with a goofy shark attack picture and so far am placed second.

Click on the picture to go to the facebook page for it and click ‘like’ to help me win.

Update: And the contest is closed, I finished second place.

Leave a Comment :, , more...

Admire’ 09 31th of July till 2 August’ 09 in Panhoven Zevenaar, Holland

by on Jul.22, 2009, under Virtual Worlds

ADMIRE ’09 – the Real Life gathering of many of the favourite Second Life musicians for a weekend of celebration, fun and music in the Netherlands from Friday 31st July to Sunday 2nd August.

With over 25 musicians to create music all weekend and a large open jam/collaborative session on Saturday 1st August from 9pm-midnight – this promises to be a carnival of music. The weekend theme is “collaboration” between musicians who have never played together and, of course, audience members, too.

Musicans you may hear over the weekend include XanderNichting Writer, Slim Warrior, Al Hoffman, Inchino Melson, Brad “JooZz” Monnett, Mar Biddle, Russell Eponym, Carah Nitely, Aurora Metaluna, Kaycee Drayman and Wannahave Ferraris, Blindboy Gumbo, Bara Jonson, and many more.

Portions of the ADMIRE event will be streamed into SL and there will be video uplinks, too.
The main SL location is the SLiteracy / PrimTings sims kindly provided by Ina Centaur: exact location is on the La Performance Stage in the sky above the center of the 4 connected sims:

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Shakespeare/186/28/581

The venue in RL is the Panhoven in Zevenaar, The Netherlands – a camping and hostel-type accomodation. Lots of places for musicians to jam, one big jam in the Conference Hall on the premisses on Saturday August 1, 12pm SLT (9pm local time)

Further info from the notecard givers in second life or from the management team:

Mar Biddle (Venue logistics)

Kaycee Drayman (Music Coordinator)
e-mail: admire@kayceenet.demon.nl; tel. +31 654 616 698

Wannahave Ferris (Local Coordrinator)

EdDereDde Laval (Stream Coordinator)

Inchino Melson (Bookings / PR)
e-mail: inchino@btconnect.com

Slim Warrior (Video Coordinator)

XanderNichting Writer (Sound Coordinator)

Leave a Comment :, , , more...

Welcome to Franscharming.com

by on May.16, 2009, under Virtual Worlds

It is about time that I have my own blog and own my content, so here it is. :P

I have just set things up, without much fine tuning yet, that will happen eventually.
I ported all my own Slog posts over to here, so you can find my past virtual world/second life musings in one place.

1 Comment : more...

How to attach to your points.

by on Mar.12, 2009, under Virtual Worlds

Angrybeth Shortbread, has made some great diagrams about attachment points. It clearly show where they are and can be a great help in getting all your attachments in the right place.



Virtual Neko took this opportunity to at length explain how attachments work, and what you can do to wear all those must have accessories.

“So you bought a cute tail, and when you chose “wear,” it attached (by default) to your stomach. No problem.

Then you bought an amazing accessory belt, but when you chose “wear,” your tail disappeared because the belt also attaches (by default) to your stomach.

Then you tried to wear your skirt prim, and there went the belt… replaced by the skirt, because the skirt also attaches (by default) to your stomach.

With 30 possible attachment points, you’d think getting dressed wouldn’t be so hard…”


Head over to virtual neko if you need help with your attachments, or if you can use a some new tips.

Angrybeth also made a similar diagram for clothing layers.



I expect you all to have perfectly aligned attachments from now on.

9 Comments : more...

The Future of Virtual World Creation.

by on Mar.05, 2009, under Virtual Worlds

Think of Star Trek TNG’s Holodeck, but re-imagined in the present, now add on to that the creation tools of Second Life. Bruce Branit’s World Builder gives you a vision of what that could be like. It is a stunning short movie, well worth a watch.

9 Comments :, , , , more...

Philip and M at steamy party. [Update]

by on Mar.04, 2009, under Virtual Worlds

Photo by Jeska Linden

Ok ok, it is a Steam Punk party. :P
I know there are some fans groupies of both gentlemen out there, and for them there is this large version you can print out and hang over your bed. Others might enjoy looking for their favorite linden in this set on flickr.

Update 8 March: Jeska removed the red eyes version, and uploaded a red eye free one. :)

Leave a Comment :, , , , more...

Pictures of Lindens.

by on Feb.23, 2009, under Virtual Worlds

This fun collection of Linden Avatars was brought to my attention on Facebook. Gellan Glenelg has made a 160 pictures and growing, starting from 31 May 2008. That is about 0.6 photos of a Linden a Day. I wonder if Gellan hunts Lindens daily. :p

Which one is your favourite? I like the Which Linden as Bamboo, or is he the pot?

1 Comment :, , more...

Save the Hippos! (Update! We made it!)

by on Feb.10, 2009, under Virtual Worlds

Ctrl+Alt+Schift+H used to give us Hippos, but for a while now they have been removed. A petition has started on the Jira to return the Hippos to their rightful place. Soft Linden has promised to Fix this when 1000 people have voted. Vote Now!


Why Hippos? The hippopotamus has long been a kind of unofficial mascot of Second Life. Learn more about it on the wiki. Hippos!


Update: Friday February 13th:

When we posted the original message only 5 days ago, there where only 250 votes.  In just those 5 days 750 people rallied in a show of love for the hippopotamus, which made us reach our goal of 1000 votes. Soft linden has answered, and is at work to make sure the Hippos will come back in to our lives.

This effort might seem whimsical and silly. In some ways it might be, but it is also sign that people don’t want to lose the fun that is or was Second Life. The Hippo as a mascot was a creation by early residents of SL together with Linden Lab. For many people it still stands for the fun, creativity and endless possibilities that is Second Life.

Hamlet wrote about it on his blog as well. He and his commentators make some excellent points about why this was rallied behind so quickly. It basically boils down to this, this was a emotional vote for a feature that is extremely easily implemented and most of all we had the promise of Soft Linden to champion this if we reached a 1000 votes. A feature that can’t break anything and we knew we have the influence to make the difference, made the difference, so to say.

As compared to other feature requests or bug fixes, our votes do matter. It is not that our opinions don’t matter on the other issues, it is just that LL wants those other issues just as much fixed as we do. But those issues are complex and take  a lot of work, our votes can at most only give a indication of what needs to worked on first. This is radicaly different for our Hippos.

Long live the Hippopatamus!



4 Comments : more...

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!

Visit our friends!

A few highly recommended friends...